AAP's success can be attributed to the great people that work here.
The diversity of AAP, from journalists to multimedia designers, ensures that there
is a chance to grow for anyone with a passion for media. Take a look below to see
what opportunities are available.
AAP relies on its employees to continuously drive its businesses forward. With diverse
opportunities in the fields of journalism, administration, IT development and system
engineering, finance, sales, marketing, customer service and across many more fields,
AAP looks to employ anyone with a passion for media. Take a look below to see what
opportunities are available.
Sales Manager ANZ, AAP Newswire | Located in Rhodes
An exciting and rewarding opportunity exists to lead our successful and talented Newswire sales team. Reporting to the Group Sales Director, you will be responsible for maximising revenue for the Newswire services in the media sector and emerging markets, providing dedicated leadership and management of the sales team and assisting with the development and implementation of AAP’s commercial strategies
Key responsibilities of this role include:
• Attraction, retention, training, and leading an efficient and experienced sales team in line with the commercial vision of the business.
• Management of revenue budgets and the new business pipeline for multiple Newswire products.
• Assist the Group Sales Director with Newswire sales strategy, development and execution
• Identification and development of sales opportunities across all client categories with a focus on new industries and emerging markets.
• Coaching, mentoring and the ongoing development of the sales team to ensure all budgets, business development targets and KPI’s are met.
• Regular and ongoing interaction with AAP’s editorial department on product development opportunities, client feedback and market trends.
The successful candidate will be an experienced Sales Manager, preferably at a national/ANZ level, with a minimum of 3 - 5 years’ solid leadership and management experience of sales staff. A high level of commercial acumen skill complemented with the proven experience in revenue and budget management is required for this role.
To be considered, you must be able to demonstrate a successful, professional B2B sales track record with an emphasis on strategy implementation and achieving desired results.
You will be highly motivated, an excellent communicator with the ability to work with multiple stakeholders across the business and build strong relationships with major clients.
Coupled with an attractive remuneration package, this critical position provides a unique opportunity to significantly contribute to the organisation through the ownership, development and execution of commercial initiatives that in turn will grow the business.
Previous media experience will be considered favourably, but is not essential.
If this role sounds like you, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full Stack Web Developer | Located in Rhodes
We have a great opportunity for an experienced full stack developer to join our agile team in the development and deployment of Superdesk (https://github.com/superdesk/superdesk), an end-to-end news production platform being developed in conjunction with Prague-based open source foundation Sourcefabric (https://www.sourcefabric.org/).
To be successful in this role, you will have:
• A Computer Science degree or equivalent.
• At least 3 years’ experience in full-stack web development.
• Strong knowledge and experience in back-end software development, especially with Python web frameworks.
• Familiarity with database technologies including both relational and NoSQL systems. Expertise in MongoDB is a plus.
• Experience designing and developing for RESTful APIs.
• Experience (or interest) in working with Agile development projectssuch as Scrum. Experience with test-driven development and continuous integration is a plus.
• Familiarity with open source technologies such as Elasticsearch, Redis, RabbitMQ and Celery.
• High competency in the development of web-based software.
• Competency in working with both GNU/Linux-based and Windows platforms.
• Competency in deploying solutions using Amazon Web Services.
• The ability to work autonomously and within a team.
• The passion to learn new technologies.
• Great communication skills and enthusiasm to motivate the team.
The role is based in Rhodes, Sydney.
If you are interested in this position, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Comment Moderator | Located in Auckland
Our Pagemasters division is a global provider of design, editorial, comment moderation and listings services to newspaper, magazine and digital industries.
We have a vacancy for a part-time comment moderator to join our small team in Auckland, reporting to the Chief Comment Moderator in Sydney, to work for a highly respected media organisation in Australia. The work involves impartially publishing or rejecting comments, for dozens of different articles every day, based on our client’s guidelines. Extensive training, including defamation training, will be provided.
This is an important role with a well-established and professional team.
The number of hours worked per week, will vary widely: from eight to 40. Shift times will also vary: starting as early as 8am and ending as late as midnight. Working from home, for the right candidate, is a possibility.
Key attributes needed for this job:
• A passion for news and current affairs
• Outstanding client service skills and client focus
• Impartiality and good judgment
• Accuracy and speed
• Research skills
• Analytical skills
• Knowledge of the media industry
If you are interested in this position, send your cover letter and resume to Donna Huynh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Account Manager, Newswire | Located in Rhodes
We have a rare and exciting opportunity for a professional Account Manager to take our highly reputable and long term business relationships to the next level. Working with iconic clients, you will be a customer-focused contact builder, capable of uncovering opportunity among long-established markets.
Reporting to the Sales Manager, Newswire, you will continue to build on the robust relationships forged before you. You will manage high level clients and present news, sport, finance, entertainment, video and audio content solutions as well as cutting edge interactive graphics for clients to host on their websites.
We are looking for a commercially astute and well-presented team player, who demonstrates passion when delivering extraordinary customer service and business results. You will thrive when presenting at board level in a professional and engaging manner, be a quick thinking problem solver and ideally have acquired experience with contractual negotiations. You will be able to contribute ideas and strategy in a dynamic and shifting media landscape, so previous account management experience with a media-related background is favourable.
Among your varied duties, you will be responsible for:
• Providing exemplary account management support and high levels of customer service for new and existing clients through regular customer liaison.
• Identifying and developing new business opportunities.
• Ongoing evaluating and assessment of the market for new products and services.
• Development and preparation of sales proposals through the creation and distribution of sales and marketing collateral.
• Maintaining accurate client records.
In order to be successful in this role, you will possess:
• Experience and proven success in sales and account management, preferably within a solution-based B2B sales environment.
• Outstanding account management and retention skills with a strong customer focus.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills with the ability to liaise at a high level with clients.
• Strategic & analytical thinking required to address client needs.
This is a great opportunity to build on your existing sales ability and make your mark on a dynamic business, so if this sounds like you, send your cover letter and resume to Donna Huynh at email@example.com.
AAP Cadet Program
AAP offers a comprehensive cadet training program, which takes successful applicants through the crucial fast-filing procedures specific to news agency work, as well as multi-media skills and shorthand.
The Sydney-based program draws on the combined experiences of senior Editorial staff, in a series of lectures, practical work and field trips.
Cadets are shown how to write fast and tight, keeping in mind AAP's constant and intense time pressures in getting the story out first. Our main Editorial principle - accuracy and speed, but accuracy above speed - is reinforced.
The program also features training in court reportage, legal issues and filing technologies and there is a particular focus on multi-media, with AAP reporters now expected to file not only fast-moving text but also images, audio and video.
During the year, cadets will be rotated through all disclipines at AAP - including general reporting, sport, finance, politics and courts.
Underpinning the program are intensive weekly lessons in teeline shorthand, in which cadets must achieve 120 words per minute to graduate.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN CADETS
Competition for the few cadet spaces is fierce, and the standard of applicants exceptional.
AAP looks for cadets with a keen interest in hard news, from finance to politics, and lighter news too, such as entertainment and general human interest.
To demonstrate enthusiasm and competency, the applicant should be able to present a good body of published work, particularly that which demonstrates aptitude with hard news, and which shows some involvement in breaking news. The work should ideally include that accepted by mainstream publications and/or broadcasters and even online services.
A curriculum vitae should also show evidence the applicant is a self-starter. A history of intern placements or work experience at a range of respected media organisations and a current driver's licence is a requisite.
Applications for AAP's 2016-2017 cadet program will open in March 2016.
Email your CV and body of published work (up to 10 items) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internships at AAP
AAP offers a limited number of internship placements to final-year students of university journalism degree courses.
The internships are one single placement of five consecutive days, in the reporting bureau of the candidate’s home city.
They are designed for final-year journalism university students who seriously intend a career in journalism, so the student can experience some of the realities of a fast-paced, breaking-news environment.
Eligible interns should demonstrate a keen interest in and knowledge of news and current affairs.
Assessments of an intern’s work during the placement can count towards an application for an AAP cadetship, positions that are fiercely contested every year.
Please note that due to high demand, placements are not available for secondary school students or to graduates of university journalism degree courses.
AAP dress code is business attire or smart casual but precludes denim.
Eligible students seeking a placement must apply in writing to the email address below, attaching a letter of recommendation from their course advisor.
Additionally, the student must attach the Certificate of Currency (otherwise known as Certificate of Insurance), outlining the university’s current Personal Accident Insurance policy details.
For the avoidance of doubt, this is a bona fide document on the insurer's letterhead which shows information including policy number, the name of the university (and/or individual) insured, period of cover, territorial limits, liability limit and scope of cover.
The student's university administrators can help with facilitating this document. Please note, general insurance-related letters on university letterhead are not acceptable.
The applicant's name should be included in the subject line of the email.
Email applications to: email@example.com